HAPPY HOWLIDAYS! and from the kitties, MEOWY CHRISTMAS! And as you relax in front of the fireplace (or in my case, the "yule log" they play on TV) waiting for Santa (trying to figure out how many of his cookies you can eat without getting caught),
allow me to regale you with the story of when I first learned the true meaning of Christmas!

The Night Before Christmas

by Graement C. Moore

Twas the night before Christmas when all through the yard,
Not a varmint was stirring with me keeping guard.
The pigeons were nestled all snug in their loft
While the chickens were roosting on hay bales most soft.
The duckies were swimming, ignoring the ice
As the kitties inside stalked their catnip-filled mice.

Mom was Christmas-preparing whilst singing and humming
Then looked at me, smiled and said “Graeme, Santa’s coming!”
Away to the window I flew like a jet,
Flung wide the curtains but saw nothing...yet.
The moonlight’s reflection on new fallen snow,
Gave me “Superman” vision of critters below.

There is no varmint welcome when I am “on call”
So dash away, dash away, dash away all!
And then in a twinkling I heard sounds like static.
Could that be Santa - or just mice in the attic?
As I drew in my head and was turning around,
Behind a pillow, an old chewie I found.

For a moment distracted by such buried treasure,
I over-indulged in my one guilty pleasure.
Then right back to business, defending the cause
But I still kept an eye out for ol’ Santa Claus.
No more treats were forthcoming, despite all my petitions
So I thought I’d partake of some Christmas traditions.

Decorating the tree in my new Christmas jammies,
I spied presents below-some with tags that said Graemee’s!
“No peeking!” said Mom, with a kiss and a warning,
“We don’t open presents until Christmas morning”.
The true spirit of Christmas she explained to me then,
Was to give, not receive, started by Three Wise Men.

And to honor the day of Jesus’ birth,
With good will toward all and peace here on Earth.
I was moved by the words she did truly believe
Alright all you varmints - you get one day’s reprieve!
If a truce can be shared twixt the world’s mighty powers
I guess I could “stand down” for twenty-four hours.

It was then I was filled with an air of contentment
Toward all beasts around me - I felt no resentment.
I gazed up at the angel perched high atop the tree
And winking an eye, she smiled down upon me.
I fell asleep knowing that Mom she was right-
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Comments